Re: [SI-LIST] : 20-H Rule for Power Planes

Larry Smith ([email protected])
Thu, 27 May 1999 16:05:12 -0700 (PDT)

Never the less, it is the EMI engineer's very difficult job is to
identify some node or nodes in the logic circuitry for attachment to
the frame. Depending on where you look, there is likely to be 10's or
100's of AC mVolts on logic Vdd WRT logic Gnd, across the power
planes. And as you have pointed out below, 1 mV of noise on the frame
WRT earth ground can be an EMI disaster. Which power plane is moving
WRT spice 0? It completely depends on where you choose to put spice
node 0.

After thinking about the conversation in this thread a little more,
perhaps it is possible for the EMI engineer to "define" spice node 0 by
the connection of frame ground to logic ground. It wouldn't matter if
he chose the Vdd plane or the Gnd plane to do this, but it should be
consistent with "safety Gnd", so the Gnd plane is more desireable. If
the SI engineers have done thier job well, there should be very little
current flowing from logic Gnd to frame Gnd. Even though the
connection between frame and logic Gnd is likely to be a high impedance
compared to the impedance between logic Gnd and Vdd, there should be
little current in the high impedance connection, therefore little
voltage. By the same argument, a high impedance connection from the
frame to earth ground might keep the frame ground well behaved.

Now that we have defined a preferential power plane, it might make
sense to build a 'psudo faraday cage' with the prefered plane extending
out beyond the noisy power plane (20-H Rule). The thing that bothers
me about this is that now all the Vdd structures have a voltage WRT the
prefered Gnd structures which are somewhat tied to earth ground. It
seems like we have taken differential volages and turned them into
common mode.

Well, I think I will go back to what I do best (SI) and leave the EMI
to the experts. Enough fun for one week, I'm AFK for the weekend.
(don't your weekends start on Thursday??)

regards,
Larry Smith
Sun Microsystems