Re: [SI-LIST] : 20-H Rule for Power Planes

Ron Matthews ([email protected])
Wed, 26 May 1999 16:20:37 -0400

Hi Chris,

I have a couple of questions about how you are doing your board design
with reference to the description you gave. If I understand correctly,
you have voltage and ground planes on the same layer. I'm assuming that
you have signal traces that traverse the inter-plane moats. If this is
the case, how do you provide for your return path, given that the trace
will reference tow different planes?

Regards,

Ron

On May 26, 12:00pm, Chris Padilla wrote:
> Subject: RE: [SI-LIST] : 20-H Rule for Power Planes
> Consider a multi-layer board of 16 layers (4 GND, 2 PWR, 8 internal
> routing, 2 external routing). My goal with this board is to make it
> a Faraday cage as much as possible.
>
> In one direction, I've almost got this due to the ground and power
> planes. But it's the sides or edges of the board where I could see
> a lot of leakage. (Yes, the populated top and bottom layers radiate
> and are "holes" in the cage. Some of these vendor's chips make my
> job a challenge as well.)
>
> I then do a ground stitch around the perimeter of the board along with
> a metal trace on all layers as space permits. This automatically
> forces a cut-back of the power plane of anywhere from 50 - 100 mils.
> And why is a non-uniform stitching better than a uniform stitich? The
> point is to close up the edges of the board as much as possible and
> get a Faraday cage effect.
>
> Also, why flood a (typically noisy) power plane into areas that might
> not need the particular voltage? I only do this if I have a lot of
> traces referencing the power plane and ripping it out would cause
> image currents to take big loops. Otherwise, I see if I can fill in
> the rest of the power plane with a ground plane.
>
> I don't have a shred of data to suggest that this design works better
> than equally sized ground and power planes but, it makes sense to me
> to try and go for the Faraday cage effect--at least a Faraday cage
> for your inner layer traces.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chris Padilla
> EMC Engineer
> Cisco Systems
>
> >I agree with Larry on this and would add that at the frequencies of
> >interest
> >a server board with a setback of one plane vs another MAY constitute a
> >reasonably good slot antenna. In fact, at some conditions, the edge of
> >the
> >board becomes a slot radiator such that stitching becomes necessary.
> >Lest
> >you become lazy, stitching left to the layout designer and not defined
> >by
> >the SI engineer has been known to increase the slot radiation.
> >Uniformity
> >of stitching is not good. My point on all of this is to analyze on a
> >use
> >and technology basis and don't over generalize to a blindly followed
> >rule.
> >
> >Tomm

In the BODY of message put: UNSUBSCRIBE si-list, for more help, put HELP.