Re: [SI-LIST] : SSTL Versus full swing PROS/CONS]

D. C. Sessions ([email protected])
Mon, 24 May 1999 17:30:19 -0700

"Gary L. Sanders" wrote:

> I agree about the abbreviations; I didn't know what they were either, and I am familiar with a number of abbreviations used in e-mail. Frankly, now that I do know what they mean, they seem rather meaningless used that way.

Of course they are. It's a social closing. I didn't mean to start a long off-topic
thread on acronyms (well, it *is* Monday) but having done so, however inadvertently,
I'll add this: ANY phrase which is important to the meaning of a message should be
as unambiguous and resistant to misinterpretation as possible. This necessarily
depends somewhat on the audience, since mythic references (for example) are
extremely concise and expressive but only work if the audience is conversant with
the literature.

In an anonymous and intercultural forum like this list, the ONLY safe references
for serious content are those which are essential for minimum competency in the
field. We shouldn't have to explain to anyone what the H-vector is or what we
mean by epsilon sub R or shorthand like L and C. This list isn't intended as
a substitute for freshman-level network theory. Beyond that there are any
number of recurring subjects that probably should be in a list FAQ.

Which segues nicely to acronyms and less-than-basic English. 'FAQ' is a list
of Frequently Asked Questions (and their answers), just as a segue is a
transition in music. I suspect that there are more people who know the acronym
than the musical term. In a discussion of composition the former may be out of
place, and in a discussion of mailing-list maintenance the latter should probably
be avoided.

So how come "YMMV. HTH. HAND." ? I could have left it off and no harm done.
(Actually, it would have saved a lot of bandwidth as it turns out.) But
that's the point: I *could* have left it off. Anyone not understanding it
didn't miss a thing. Those who did understand it just saw a social closing,
the Internet's answer to "Yr Obd't Svt." invariably written by someone who
was unlikely to be obedient and almost certainly nobody's servant, but who
WAS trying to grease the often-frictious social machinery.

That's it. Much Ado About Nothing. A veritable Tempest over something
that at Bottom is a mere Comedy of Errors.

D. C. Sessions