RE: [SI-LIST] : What speed scope should I consider?

Krull, Nick J ([email protected])
Thu, 20 May 1999 13:35:14 -0600

General input: I've been using the TDS784C by Tek. Its 4Gs, 1Ghz
bandwidth. I believe Tek may have a better
model today(higher bandwidth). HP makes similar equipment. You can look at
300MHZ signals quite nicely with this gear. But, I would
generally recommend obtaining the highest bandwidth(mainstream) scope you
can afford. Given the direction of todays electronics,
scopes may have the longevity of PC's.

But several other things enter into the picture which at times are much more
significant than the mathematics of the scope bandwidth.

1) What type of probe does the unit have. If its bulky, like some of HP's
high freq. stuff, it may more suited to very
carefully setup lab situations where PCB space and clearances are not a
factor. As opposed to a .1in pitch(signal-gnd), low profile
active scope probe head.

2) Do you have test points on your proto-type PCB. If so, what are they.
1 pin headers, 2 pin headers, Mictors, SMA's?

3) Dependent upon (2) above, how do you plan to connect your scope probe
to these test points? How do you plan to connect your
scope ground to a ground point? The inductance and impedance of these
connections matter. Especially with rise times under 1ns.

The accuracy of the trace on the scope screen depends on the Scope, the
Probe and the connection to the PCB. If you are early enough in
your design cycle, I would take some time to review all of the above. Nick
Krull, 303-673-3678