RE: [SI-LIST] : Decoupling caps and power plane effects

Shenoy, Jay ([email protected])
Tue, 18 May 1999 16:36:39 -0700

Dr. Sayre

I almost feel like I'm walking into a trap here :-). With all
the enthusiasm
of a recent convert (actually more to make sure I have gotten the gist of
what I've
recently read), here goes:

PEEC (partial element equiv circuit) is a nifty, if somewhat
memory intensive
technique, that works for linear electromagnetic networks as follows:
* Represent given network as a bunch of elemental filaments (epecially
useful
for inductances). Multiple parallel filaments between any two nodes can
account for
skin effect.
* Compute R, L and all possible M's for each filament analytically. From
this
you get very large L,R,C matrices
* Define terminals of interest : for external world interest. Then using
the nodal
incidence matrix and the terminal incidence matrix - for each frequency
of
interest you can get a reduced L,C and R matrices just involving the
terminal
nodes specified.

A PEEC solver can thus be used as a field solver giving Spice circuits
for one
frequency for a given interconnect geometry and a set of specified terminals
(this
is what Ruehli's work seemed to be targeted).or.

A PEEC solver can be used to get L,R matrices (transfer functions) for a
bunch
of frequencies. For "simulation" of time domain events - FFT stimulus
waveform,
multiply in frequency domain for output waveforms, and FFT back into time
domain.
Should work very well for linear problems that fall within a certain
frequency/mesh size
range (like P/G planes) of interest... (Thus the "simulator" is only an
extension of the
"field solver").

Now the people who've actually worked on this can go ahead and rip this
explanation
to tiny shreds. Some of the papers that I've collected have authors that are
active here, so...

Jay