RE: [SI-LIST] : use of this List

Beal, Weston ([email protected])
Tue, 18 May 1999 09:55:10 -0500

When we set up the si-list a few years ago, the goal was to get engineers
communicating in order to solve real problems. If a vendor has a tool that
might solve the problem then we need to know about it. Now the gray area is
how much a tool vendor should promote their product online. Here's my
opinion. Use common sense! If an engineer states a problem and a tool
vendor thinks they can solve the problem, then the vendor should state that
they have a tool which they believe can do the job and invite the engineer
to contact them individually. I see nothing wrong with that, and would
actually find it inappropriate for someone on this list to never offer help.
This is not a lecture group, but more of a forum.

Wow! That felt good. Now I'll step down and go do some real work.

Regards,
Weston Beal
Signal Integrity Engineer
Compaq Computer Corp.

-----Original Message-----
From: Doug Piper [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Tuesday, 18 May, 1999 8:57 AM
To: '[email protected]'
Subject: RE: [SI-LIST] : use of this List

Apology to the List:

I'm extremely sorry if anyone is offended by my monitoring
the reflector
for potential customers who may need our products or
services. I believe
that reflectors are a great place to share
knowledge/solutions and I don't
feel that I've ever abused the privilege by contacting
anyone in a
offending way.

I am an electrical engineer and enjoy the reflector dialog
and I apologize
to anyone and everyone who's offended.

Doug Piper
Woven Electronics