RE: [SI-LIST] : Looking Inside IBIS Model

Weber Chuang ([email protected])
Tue, 18 May 1999 09:42:06 +0800

Hi SI-gurus,

I generate IBIS model for our customers, and I simulate the PCB also(with
QUAD/xtk), and do timing calculations, so I know the importance of correct
correlation(mapping) between datasheet and models, yet still some problems
bother me, I guess you all might help, so here it is,

1. we can simulate the spice netlist in hspice and primetime(maybe motive)
to generate the AC timing, yet we need to correlate it with tester values, I
think no one would argue about this, but the tester values seem to include
tester jitter, DUT internal PLL jitter, rise-fall difference, DUT package
effects and also some test-probe loading effects, do someone have some good
idea or experience in removing all the effects and then get a good first
order approximation between simulated values and characterized values?

2. the flight time effect of the load board(DIB) for DUT is automatically
calibrated out by the tester, yet the tester does the round trip measurement
without the DUT, so the acquired round trip measurement is different from
the real case(with DUT ), so there will be always some offset for this, is
there anything we should/could do for this?

3. if DUT is A, and the trace on load board(DIB) is B, and loading effect of
tester head is C, then we can either by calculation or by using TDR to find
the propagation delay of B, since this delay will be corrected by tester
itself, so the Rref and Cref and Vref that I should put on the IBIS should
be C since the AC timing will be the ones from tester, is that right?

4.continued from 3, but I think the effect for [A driving (B+C)] would
differ from [(A driving C)+B] if from a more detailed scale, is that right?
then what might you suggest for this?

Thanks!

Best Regards

Weber Chuang(ChingFu Chuang)
Signal Integrity Engineer,
VIA Technologies, Inc. Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
TEL : 886-2-22185452 ext : 6522
email : [email protected]
http://www.via.com.tw
Very Innovative Architecture