RE: [SI-LIST] : Looking Inside IBIS Model

Beal, Weston ([email protected])
Mon, 17 May 1999 08:47:49 -0500

Dear people,

This topic is very important in timing simulation and is one of my pet
peeves. I agree whole-heartedly with Abe, except for the comment that "if
accurately specified they can aid board level timing simulation runs." In
fact, I would argue that the timing test load MUST be included to do any
meaningful timing simulation.

My first check of an IBIS file is to see if the IBIS author has correctly
used the Vmeas, Vref, Rref, and Vref parameters. If not, they probably
don't understand IBIS and the whole file is suspect. The timing test load
should be defined for every driver including I/O and should not be included
for receiver only models. If you create any IBIS files, please take the
time to understand the correct usage of Vmeas, Vref, Rref, and Cref. Your
customers will love and praise you :-)!

Regards,
Weston Beal
Signal Integrity Engineer