Re: [SI-LIST] : Terminating a bidirectional bus

D. C. Sessions ([email protected])
Mon, 03 May 1999 15:09:48 -0700

"Fox, Michael J" wrote:

> Arrigo,
> I'd recommend looking at FPGA and SRAM's DC requirements carefully. A
> series termination will cause a level shift. Unless you are using
> reflective-mode transmission or the buffers are internally terminated, I'd
> recommend parallel terminating both ends of the bus.
> But that's only good if both chips have the same DC requirements. If they
> have different DC requirements tell me about it and I'll give you that
> lecture.

All of the FPGAs that I've heard of have pure CMOS inputs with
pullups (if available) optional. So level shift shouldn't be an
issue. Also, the more complex ones give you the option of both
CMOS inputs (rational) vs TTL emulation (silly).

Actually, for a CMOS point-to-point connection you get surprisingly
good results with a single resistor in the center of the trace.

D. C. Sessions