FW: [SI-LIST] : Chip level Vs Board level SI

Shenoy, Jay ([email protected])
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 12:14:13 -0700

Just a sampler of chip level SI problems:

* Crosstalk, both for noise and cross-talk induced delay (a capacitive
analogue of SSO )
* Power-Ground resonance: heavily damped, but lots of localized capacitance
( the cause of the heavy damping, i.e. IR-drop, is also usually considered
SI and is a big problem)
* Distribution of long signals (esp clocks) sees the R*L*C effects , L kicks
in when the
edge rates are fast and your power/ground return path design not good
enough. Even without
L, people have long been doing RC transmission line analysis (even if they
dont know it)
* Driving multidrop buses, same as above except even more capacitive than
board level
* Especially in silicon - ground wave effect, with poor return paths in
metal, since this then
a lossy dielectric for the return, which is nonhomogenous to boot! (the
Si/SiO2 stack that is).

Almost a 1:1 correspondence with some major board level problems.

Poor return paths is a recurring theme, IMHO the biggest SI "problem" on
chip is that quite
a few transistor level designers are extremely tuned to thinking of a signal
being propogated on
*one* wire only. Otherwise, the simplest rules of thumb on return paths,
would all but alleviate
many of the on-chip SI problems that can really bite.

On-soapbox: Not to mention that most physical design is done by automated
P&R tools
and so, even whom to hammer the above points into, is completely unclear!
Off-soapbox.

Regards
Jay