Re: [SI-LIST] : "Damn Fast" buffer

Fred Balistreri ([email protected])
Thu, 01 Apr 1999 08:43:15 -0800

Robert Badal wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I wonder about damn fast buffer vs fast buffer. I designed LH4009 SEP
> 1988 at National. LH4009 had 10000 volt/us slew rate
> and 150 MHz BW driving 200ma into 50 ohm load. LH0033 has 6000 v/us and
> BW 100 MHz.
> You can find the spec in National General Purpose Linear devices
> databook 1989 (page 4-55 for LH4009 and page 4-8 for LH0033 ).
> One must read the spec to decide which one is really fast.
>
> Robert
>
> Thomas Wirschem wrote:
> >
> > Both parts have been obsoleted (last time buy, latest 10/98). For alternate
> > parts see
> > http://www.national.com/search/search.cgi/design?keywords=LH0033
> > The (formerly Comlinear, now National part) CLC111 - ultra-high slew rate
> > buffer -
> > is the improved performance device, that hopefully doesn't desolder itself from
> > the board.
> >
> > Thomas Wirschem
> > Interface Applications, Europe
> > National Semiconductor
> > [email protected]
> >
> > Yes. I remember those. Boy they really got hot! I saw one get so hot
> > that it
> > desoldered itself from the board and fell out.
> >
> > Charles Hill, consultant
> > Alta Engineering
> > [email protected]

> > > Fast?
> > >
> > >As I recall the LH0033 ("Fast") and LH0063 ("Damn Fast") buffer amplifiers
> > were
> > >in the linear databook. Fast op-amps in a can.

> > [email protected]. In the BODY of message put: UNSUBSCRIBE
> > si-list, for more help, put HELP. si-list archives are accessible at
> > http://www.qsl.net/wb6tpu/si-list ****

> > In the BODY of message put: UNSUBSCRIBE si-list, for more help, put HELP.

Correct. The LH0033,63 was designed BEFORE the LH4009, and in those days
6000 V/us was DAMN FAST. That was the marketing slogan used at the
time. The LH0033 and LH0063 were not op-amps as mentioned somewhere.
They were buffers designed to drive long heavy loads.

Best Regards,

--
Fred Balistreri
[email protected]