Re: [SI-LIST] : RE: [SI-LIST]: Long bus or star?

Scott McMorrow ([email protected])
Mon, 29 Mar 1999 11:42:53 -0800

--------------7AECEC7C4F5F9CC9CC6D4908

Steven,

Actually, if you take a look at the Xeon AGTL+ bus you will
see that one valid topology for it is a modified star. All legs on
the bus have Termination resistors with a value of 75 ohms.

Regards,

Scott

"Hall, Stephen H" wrote:

> >Chris Bobek wrote:
>
> >I have an address bus that is 75ohm, and 19" long. There are 8 loads >that
> >are daisy-chained along the trace. The edge from the driver (which
> >is at one end) is 3ns.
>
> >I was wondering if I would be better off with a star pattern, where >each leg is short (less than 4"). Would this work and not require
> >any termination?
>
> >Thank you very much,
>
> Star patterns are a nightmare. There are so many reflections in
> the system that it easily becomes unstable. If the star is not
> perfectly balanced your signal integrity will degrade rapidly.
> Just the process variations for each agent can be enough to degrade
> your signal integrity to an unacceptable level. Furthermore, if
> you have a GTL-like bus a star wont work because it would require
> too many pull-up resistors. Star topologies can be made to work,
> but not without a lot of pain. They should be avoided for a high
> speed bus unless all other options have failed.

--------------7AECEC7C4F5F9CC9CC6D4908

begin:vcard
n:McMorrow;Scott
tel;fax:503-239-0649