Re: [SI-LIST] : A Question About Power Noise.

Stephen Peters ([email protected])
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 15:05:11 -0800

Hello Mark:

A question. I assume that in RF design the purpose of power plane
'decoupling' is to keep RF energy out of a devices power leads -- i.e.,
preserve a quiet DC reference. This is done by providing a low impedance
path between power and ground at the frequency of interest. Therefore,
it seems to me that you would want a decoupling capacitor to be
operating right near its SRF, but if I read your comments correctly, you
imply you do not want it to operate it at that point. What am I missing?

(Note: In the digital world, the rule is to use as big a decoupling
capacitor as possible (for a given package inductance). The reason being, of
course, is that in digital design the purpose of a 'decoupling capacitor' is
to supply transient current to a devices when it switches. In other words,
the decoupling capacitor is acting as a charge storage device, and
the bigger the capacitor the better. It's interesting that while we both
refer to those capacitors as "decoupling capacitors", they are used for
very different reasons.)

Regards,
Stephen Peters
Intel Corp.