RE: [SI-LIST] : signal propagation questions

Shenoy, Jay ([email protected])
Mon, 15 Mar 1999 11:10:24 -0800

Hi Leesa,

No answers yet, only clarifications that might just add to the confusion
:-).

Are you counting on the (distributed) capacitance between planes A and
B to "close" the AC current loop? If this capacitance is not adequately low
impedance (compared to the extreme case of plane B not being present at all
, and the inductance loop is via-trace-via over plane A), the AC current has
to go
clear to the edge, and be connected to plane A and come back near the vias.
This has a time-of-flight consequence (therefore the spacing between planes
A & B
is important to keep the plane B to plane A impedance low).

On 2) If the planes A & B are truly infinite, and the locations of the
shorting wire
and / or voltage source truly remote, the "AC" current is not going to have
time to
go across plane B, down through the short, and back across the plane A. What
is
this "AC" or high frequency limit? A time of flight (with twice the extent
of the board)
calculation to the edge of the board ( or the nearest "effective" bypass
capacitor that
you may have) is probably a reasonable ball park.

*Above* this frequency, Plane B is effectively floating ( since the
transmission lines
are referenced to plane A) and floating planes are poorly handled by
electrostatic field
solvers (fudge by adding time of flight in Spice).

I am usually biased towards using partitioning-2D electrostatic field
solver /closed form -
Spice myself, but even so, this particular problem seems to be "doable"
with that particular
approach because there is a relatively low number of conductors involved.
I'm sure you've
figured though aout this, but in the field solver - plane B is really a
transmission line too
and you need to put in some approximations for current spreading in the
plane B/plane A
combination which will lower the planeB-plane A impedance .

Regards
Jay