Re: [SI-LIST] : BGA vs Leaded - summary

john lipsius ([email protected])
Mon, 08 Mar 1999 14:45:57 -0800

--------------BB1DEC6C77F9D41B07474680

Greg,

The regular BGA **does** have bond wires and this can be a problem when
terminating hi-edgerate i/o, around 1GHz in my experience.

The problem is that termination on the pcb can present itself as a resonant structure
or a significant stub and must be fly-by. Also, the Ball locations should be closest to
the die to minimize bond wire length in the pkg. and a 4 layer (with pwr, gnd) BGA
pkg should be used to control the impedance and crosstalk of the critical io to/from the ball.

Lastly, an excessive ball count pkg is typically required in order to (for an asic) obtain
enough designer choice to achieve the optimum ball placements cited above.

Flip Chip really improves this situation. The die pad are attached directly to the pkg.
with attachments right on the die. But new asic physical design tools are required.

-John

greg kimball wrote:

> All who have contributed.......thanks,
>
> Just wanted to summarize what i have read:
> 1. That the BGA does have inherent lower parasitic L and C (no bond
> wires and no packaging leads) and therefore better interconnect
> transmission properties, - some details were given in the paper
> suggested by Ravider at IBM "Noise computation in single chip...." IEEE.
> (Thanks Ravinder)
>
> 2. Those advantages can easily be squandered by -
> - long leads to the closest decoupling site
> - long leads to the interconnect junctures
>
> 3. Moral of the story ??????
> In order to take advantage of BGA, which does carry a manufacturing
> cost premium, very careful interconnect strategies my be thought out
> and put in place.
> We have not talked about thermal aspects, but this is another tricky
> area of consideration - underfills, number of balls to xfer heat out,
> thermal gnd planes, etc, etc
>
> Any parting comments ????
>
> Regards,
> Greg

Thanks,
John Lipsius
Member Technical Staff
Cyras Systems, Inc.
46832 Lakeview Blvd.
Fremont, CA 94538
510-623-6631

--------------BB1DEC6C77F9D41B07474680 Content-Type: text/x-vcard; charset=us-ascii; name="jlipsius.vcf" Content-Description: Card for john lipsius Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="jlipsius.vcf" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

begin:vcard n:Lipsius;John tel;fax:510-490-7705 tel;work:510-623-6631 x-mozilla-html:FALSE url:www.cyras.com org:Cyras Systems, Inc.;Engineering version:2.1 email;internet:[email protected] title:MTS note:"I want 'em spittin' blood!" adr;quoted-printable:;;46832 Lakeview Blvd=0D=0A;Fremont;CA;94538;USA fn:John Lipsius end:vcard

--------------BB1DEC6C77F9D41B07474680--