Re: [SI-LIST] : BGA vs Leaded package electrical performance

Ron Miller ([email protected])
Thu, 04 Mar 1999 14:30:28 -0800

--------------A5F3D131FB5FFB5EDE0622BD

Hi guys

In order to understand and to simulate the CQFP and CBGA packages the
frequency domain is the best way to go because all lead inductances also have
distributed capacitance. Frequency domain models of transmission lines are
as close to reality as we can get, and are available only in frequency domain
simulators. Some of these simulators also have FFTs and convolution to get
back to the time domain for waveform analysis.

So, do not get hung up on inductance and capacitance only. There is more than
meets the eye.

Ron Miller

[email protected] wrote:

> A paper titled "Noise Computation in Single Chip Packages" by Bathey,
> Swaminathan, Smith, and Cockerill, published in IEEE Transactions on
> Components, Packaging, and Manufacturing Technology-Part B, Vol. 19, May
> 1996, compares the performance of a CQFP package with a CBGA package.
>
> Regards, Ravinder
> PCB Development and Design Department
> IBM Corporation - Storage Systems Division
> Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
> .... Mark Twain
>
> greg kimball <[email protected]> on 03/03/99 12:26:07 AM
>
> To: [email protected]
> cc: (bcc: Ravinder Ajmani/San Jose/IBM)
> Subject: [SI-LIST] : BGA vs Leaded package electrical performance
>
> Has anyone done or know of any work done to compare the electrical
> transmission capabilities of these two interconnect technologies?
> Specifically, the parasitic series inductance difference between a 48
> pin TQFP and BGA for example. Also, measurement methodologies to make a
> in situ comparison.
> Greg Kimball
> TI Storage Product Div.

> si-list, for more help, put HELP. si-list archives are accessible at
> http://www.qsl.net/wb6tpu/si-list ****

Ronald B. Miller  _\\|//_  Signal Integrity Engineer
(408)487-8017    (' 0-0 ') fax(408)487-8017
Brocade Communications Systems, 1901 Guadalupe Parkway, San Jose, CA  95131
[email protected],  [email protected]

--------------A5F3D131FB5FFB5EDE0622BD Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> Hi guys

Subject:  [SI-LIST] : BGA vs Leaded package electrical performance