Re: FW: FWIW - RE: [SI-LIST] : Atomic animation

Christian Schuster ([email protected])
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 11:20:40 +0100

David,

according to Ashcroft & Mermin, "Solid State Physics", only the magnetic
moment of a neutron couples to the electronic spin in the solid.
Much more important is the neutron-nucleus interaction which is
frequently used in determining phonon spectra. Neutrons used for
these scattering experiments typically have energies from 0.1 - 0.001
eV.

Kind regards,

Ch. Schuster

Johnson, David wrote:

> Just FWIW, to clarify (I hope) the question of whether an orbiting electron
> is a particle or an energy wave, what happens if we shoot a neutron through
> an atom such that it misses the nucleus? Can the neutron ever "collide"
> with orbiting electron particles, or does the neutron just pass straight
> through the electron "shells" more or less undisturbed (neglecting gravity)?
> Can a "flying" neutron knock an orbiting electron to another orbit or out of
> an atom altogether? (My particle physics is a bit rusty and was never very
> good in the first place, not to mention never having had any courses in
> quantum mechanics.)

Christian Schuster, Dipl.-Phys. IIS, ETH Zurich

Integrated Systems Laboratory
Swiss Federal School of Technology Fax: +41 1 63 21194
Gloriastrasse 35 Phone: +41 1 63 27595
CH-8092 Zurich E-Mail: [email protected]
Switzerland WWW: http://www.iis.ee.ethz.ch/~schuster/
Disclaimer: This mail reflects only my personal opinion. I do not
guarantee for any results of using it.