RE: [SI-LIST] : Oscillation in lumped circuits and transmission l

Peterson, James F ([email protected])
Fri, 5 Feb 1999 13:04:17 -0500

Dima,
There is a link between equations (good point), but the Pd also has to be
multiplied by overall length in the reflection equation (then divide by 4)
to establish reflection period.
thanks,
Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: Dima Smolyansky [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Friday, February 05, 1999 12:08 PM
To: Peterson, James F (FL51); [email protected]
Subject: Re: [SI-LIST] : Oscillation in lumped circuits and transmission
l ines

Although, it could be noted that the propagation delay of a transmission
line Pd is related to L and C as
Pd = (LC)^1/2. In addition, the factor of 2*pi is just a conversion between
linear and angular frequency, and therefore for even-handed comparison must
be dropped. Then, the factor of 4 is apparently due to assumption of quarter
wavelength oscillation. But then, there will be a similar high-order
oscillation for an LC circuit. I think this implies good correlation between
the two models. The choice between the two comes down to a standard
lumped-distributed type analysis.

Hope this helps.

--
Thanks,