RE: [SI-LIST] : IDE bus question

Farrokh Mottahedin ([email protected])
Fri, 5 Feb 1999 09:44:53 -0800

For the latest recommendations on ATA bus termination (the term IDE is not
used anymore), please refer to the Annex C of ATA/ATAPI-4 rev 18 or
ATA/ATAPI-5 rev 1 standard. You may find these standards at
ftp://fision.dt.wdc.com/x3t13.

While I would agree with your characterization of the IDE bus as unruly, I
would also point out that with proper signal integrity measures Quantum has
been able to quadruple the bus transfer rate in the last three years from
16.6 to 33 and now to 66 megabytes per second. It boils down to the
following measures:
1) careful I/O cell design with edge rate control (I would caution against
the use of F244 & F245)
2) use 33 Ohm series termination on data lines
3) for Ultra 66 MB/s use a special 80 conductor cable which provides 40
additional grounds but is downward compatible with the 40 conductor ATA
connector on the device or host.

Regards,

Farrokh Mottahedin
Quantum Corporation