[SI-LIST] : Shielding Effectivness Question

From: Neven Pischl ([email protected])
Date: Tue Jun 05 2001 - 09:16:00 PDT

RE: Product Safety: A Matter of Law or Litigation?I would appreciate if anyone could let me know if there are any references (books, application notes, anythig ..) that deal with shielding efectivness in cases when a source is close to an (electrically small) opening in a shield (enclosure). In such a situation, the field will penetrate through the hole and leak even if the size is much smaller than the wavelength. I am particularly interested in situation when high-frequency source, such as a PCB edge or a component operating at (say) 1 GHz and above is in proximity of the venting holes, "small" gaps in the chassis etc.

All references that I have deal with uniform plane wave propagating incident to a metal plane with a slot or hole, in which case it is enought o have electrically small size of the opening (e.g. lambda/10) to efficiently block any field propagation through the barrier. I can't find any useful reference that deals in any analytical way with the situation I am intersted in.

I believe I might get some answers using some of the simulation programs, but at the moment I am more intersted in the analysis of the problem than in simulating it.

Thank you,

Neven Pischl