Re: [SI-LIST] : On chip decoupling

From: D. C. Sessions ([email protected])
Date: Fri May 25 2001 - 08:30:49 PDT

On Friday 25 May 2001 08:19, Tom Zimmerman wrote:
> [...]

P-channel gate to Vss, N-channel gate to Vdd.
P-channel source and drain to Vdd.
N-channel source and drain to Vss.

> Also, how do you limit the Q to avoid ringing on the supply? Does the
> inherent resistance of the long channel device accomplish this?

Series resistance to limit Q is counterproductive in terms of limiting
transient supply drop. Shunt RC, on the other hand, does a lovely
job with ringing reduction. Since the resonant frequency of the LC
system is much lower than the operating frequency, you can hang
large amounts of high-ESR capacitance on there and get the necessary
damping.

Conveniently, well-to-bulk capacitance has quite high ESR, and it
even has a largish range of RC products depending on geometry.
Add the plethora of quiescent gates that are all over the place and
you have a pretty low Q system. (Also don't forget that the net logic
load acts effectively resistive for frequencies below the clock rate
due to I=VFC).

--
| The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. |
| Because the slow, feeble old codgers like me cheat.                |