Re: [SI-LIST] : Basic Transmission Line question

From: Steve Corey ([email protected])
Date: Thu May 24 2001 - 12:31:38 PDT

Tim -- Lumped and distributed have to do with how the line is modeled for
computations (hand calculations or simulator). Lossless vs. lossy are
intrinsic characteristics of the transmission line itself. Both lumped and
distributed models are capable or modeling both lossless and lossy
transmission lines.

Both lumped and distributed models are only valid within a certain
frequency range in which they accurately represent the characteristics of
the device.

Practically speaking, much of the transmission line modeling work done to
date in the time-domain, SPICE-like simulators has focused on so-called
distributed models. This has particularly been true for those models made
to handle loss mechanisms such as skin effect and dielectric loss. This
has given the impression to many that a distributed model is necessary to
model skin and dielectric loss, which is not necessarily true in the
technical sense, but to date has been true for all practical purposes.

Finally, just for the sake of interest, I would mention that from a
time-domain simulator's perspective, the concept of a distributed model vs.
a lumped model is a very blurry one, since as the simulator chooses its
time steps, every model gets effectively discretized into lumps of some
sort.

  -- Steve

Steven D. Corey, Ph.D.
Time Domain Analysis Systems, Inc.