RE: [SI-LIST] : Package power rating

From: Moses CHAN ([email protected])
Date: Tue May 22 2001 - 00:46:43 PDT

Yuan,

The power rating for packages is based on the thermal requirement (keeping
the die temperature to a maximum of 125C). This depends on :
1. Die size
2. Type of PCB board (there is a JEDEC JC15 standard that defines this)
3. Air flow conditions

Therefore, the range that is given for the power rating is really the window
between max and min die sizes and the PCB.

The power requirement is only approximate, it will change if the device is
placed on an actual board in an actual application. A thermal simulation or
test can verify this.

Regards,
Moses Chan
CS2