Re: [SI-LIST] : MECL System Design Handbook

From: Steve Corey ([email protected])
Date: Fri May 18 2001 - 19:04:41 PDT

Mitch -- you may have lost the context under which this thread was
revived. The question that was brought up referred to a particular
figure in the MECL design handbook, specifically figure 7-17 on page 144
of the handbook (p. 155 in pdf-pages). It was hypothesized that the
figure might be in error, and furthermore that such results could not be
observed.

Unfortunately, the time scale in the figure isn't stated, nor is the
geometry of the layout given. (However, both can be estimated by
comparison with earlier examples in the handbook, in which this
information is provided). Regarding stackup, however, at the beginning
of the TDR section, on page 132 (143 in pdf-pages), the geometry for
example 1 states that the width of the 51-ohm line is 0.1 inches.
(Don't forget, the revision date on the hanbook, or at least on the PDF
I downloaded, is 1988.) It's probably a reasonable guess that all of
the microstrip examples in the TDR section used the same stackup. If
that's the case, 0.1 inch is probably the most meaningful trace width to
use in determining whether it's possible to see the effects of the bends
as described in the handbook. I personally appreciate Tom's taking the
time to do the measurements and report the results -- none of the rest
of us volunteered to do it.

The question to which I think you're alluding in your post is whether or
not such effects are important in someone's particular design, or
perhaps in a "typical" modern-day digital design. While it is related,
it is nevertheless a separate question from whether or not it's possible
to observe the TDR results implied in the MECL handbook. And although
it is an important question, it doesn't diminish the importance of the
question Tom is trying to answer.

  -- Steve

Steven D. Corey, Ph.D.
Time Domain Analysis Systems, Inc.