RE: [SI-LIST] : BGA Pkg Characterization

From: Neeraj Pendse ([email protected])
Date: Fri May 18 2001 - 11:42:38 PDT

Larry and anyone,

Have you found a way to predict resonance in BGA packages based on the
frequency, package size and substrate stack-up? And do you have any
advice on when I should be concerned about dying because of package
resonance?

Regards,

Neeraj.

National Semiconductor Corp.
http://www.national.com NYSE: NSM

On 5/18/01, 6:22:48 AM, Larry Miller <[email protected]>
wrote regarding RE: [SI-LIST] : BGA Pkg Characterization:

> You really do need to do this if you are contemplating usage up above
300
> MHz. Many packages have simply awful resonances and crosstalk, and it
varies
> hugely with where you are on the package. I have found 4:1 variations
in
> lowest resonance frequencies in a single package due to the variations
in
> the way the signals get from the chip bonding pads to the balls. Also,
you
> need to test groups of signals. Various sets can resonate in pairs,
etc.