Re: [SI-LIST] : LVCML vs. SLVS

From: Franz Smith ([email protected])
Date: Thu May 10 2001 - 08:13:46 PDT

Dear D.C.,
thanks for your comments.
I saw you didn't add any comment on LVCML, then ...

Vcc(ECL)=0V ; Vee (ECL)=-5.2V

Vcc(CML) = Vcc(PECL) = 5.0V; Vee=0V

Vcc(LV-CML) = Vcc(LV-PECL) = 3.3V; Vee=0V

at least these are the most common definitions I have found!

CML or LV-CML (3.3V) interfaces are mainly used to connect a SerDes
block with the optical driver/receiver, and there are several
components on the market using it (MAXIM for istance).

Something you said is not really clear to me....

>From: "D. C. Sessions" <[email protected]>
>To: [email protected]
>Subject: Re: [SI-LIST] : LVCML vs. SLVS
>Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 08:25:53 -0700
>

>I'm the author of SLVS, and chair of JEDEC's JC-16 committee
>which is considering it as a standard.

Is the SLVS-400 a standard or not yet?
If not, when do you expect a final resolution?

>That said, I'm not sure that I'd advise using either of these for a cabled
>connection. Both have quite narrow common-mode ranges and depend
>on high-quality ground integrity between the driver and the receiver.
>Which is Not Guaranteed in a cabled environment. For all of its faults,
>LVDS really is pretty well-suited to a cabled environment.
I agree!
I'm also considering the possibility of using LVDS and a coax cable
@622Mbps, but I have to double the number of cables!
Using a AC-coupled solution I should avoid the Vgpd problem, shouldn't I?

In the backplane case, I will have to put a constraint on Vgpd
(for instance 50mV max).
In this case I could use either SLVS or LVCML.
>....We're looking into hot-plug
>issues for SLVS and although we don't want to promise anything it looks
>good so far.
Please, let us know, as soon as you have more infos about.

Hope to hear you soon.

Cheers