RE: [SI-LIST] : ibis or spice?

From: Moran, Brian P ([email protected])
Date: Thu May 03 2001 - 09:33:27 PDT

John,

In most cases where I have cited a perceived deficiency in IBIS, an IBIS
advocate has usually been able to point out a rational to dispell my
concern, or a mechanism for overcoming the problem within the framework of
IBIS 3.2. So I have slowly become a convert to the IBIS methodology.
However, two problematic areas that most IBIS advocates concede are in
accuartely modelling power and ground distribution between the pin and the
on-die buffer, and modelling current sharing differential output buffers.
Assuming semi-ideal power and ground and single ended operation, the IBIS
methodology yeilds equivalent results in much less time. In fact in many
cases it can be used to simulate differential buffers as well. I have
generally found the larger issue to be the accuracy of the curve data and
the assumptions made in generating the data and the model. Its possible to
create poor models in either case. It should also be said that it is hard
to generalize about such things. Each case has to be looked at in terms of
the simulation scope & objectives, the tool environment, and the models
available. If your focusing on a single interconnect and have transistor
level power delivery and buffer models then you'll get the best results in
HSPICE, but if you need to do board level SI screening and timing
verification, get the most current IBIS models avaiable, and run IBIS
simulations. Most chips and boards we do have a mixture of simulation
methodologies used, based on the nuances of the various interfaces.

Brian P. Moran
Signal Integrity Engineer
Intel Corporation