Re: [SI-LIST] : RE: Edge rates

From: Ritchey Lee ([email protected])
Date: Tue May 01 2001 - 04:32:05 PDT

I think that the reason for two different views on this (10%-90% vs two
voltage
levels) is this:

When delivering signals to inputs for purposes of performing switch,
what
matters is how fast the signal transits the "forbidden zone" on an
input. This
gives rise to the +- values around Vthres. A better way to specify this
is slew
rate and some IC manufacturers specify slew rate or variable slew rate.

When calculating cross talk and reflections, the whole transition is
important.
This is better characterized with the 10% to 90% values.

So, both methods are important. Just depends on what part of the
analysis is
going on.

Lee