RE: [SI-LIST] : RE: Edge rates

From: Dagostino, Tom ([email protected])
Date: Mon Apr 30 2001 - 09:15:12 PDT

I've seen a lot of different standards for measuring edge rates. When I was
designing scopes we always used the 10 to 90% metric, thus the defaults on
your scope. If I remember correctly, we were looking for critically damped
2 pole Guassian response in the scope. The edge was fairly linear between
the 10 and 90% points. When ECL first appeared in the 60's Motorola used 20
to 80% measurements because there was a fast slew between those points but
ECL tended to slowly attain its final values. As D. C. Sessions points out
for a logic gate the time between the input thresholds is important but that
measurement gives no indication of the impact on SI issues. I've also seen
max dV/dT numbers given for a part. IBIS standardized on the 20 to 80%
means of modeling edge rates for the ramp data.

Rates of 180 psec for 0.7 volts is really not that fast. The faster parts
that I have seen are more like 50 psec for that voltage change.

Tom Dagostino
IBIS and Tau Modeling Manager
SDD
Mentor Graphics Corp.