RE: [SI-LIST] : Attenuation on a PCB trace

From: Jian X. Zheng ([email protected])
Date: Tue Apr 24 2001 - 08:31:19 PDT

Hi, Michael:

I think your e-mail part of the difference between microstrip and stripline.
However, there are some fundamental thing about the difference is not
clearly explained and I would like to add comments on it:

1. For a stripline, there is only one dielectrics. The wave (or energy) can
propagate parallel to the metallic traces. This is basically the TEM mode.

2. For a microstrip, there are two dielectrics. If the wave propagates
parallel to the metallic trace, the speed of the wave is different in the 2
dielectric media which is well mentioned in your e-mail. The boundary
conditions (continuous tangential E and H) do not allow the wave to
propagate parallel to the metallic trace. In fact, they have to propagate
with an angle to the direction of the metallic trace. They will reflect on
the ground plane and the dielectric surface. At a specific angle, the
sinusoidal wave will reflect back and forth between the ground plane and the
dielectric surface. The final result is that the wave power will propagate
along the metallic trace, indirectly by back and forth between the ground
plane and the dielectric surface. They are in fact the so-called TE or TM
modes in waveguides. In the metallic trace direction, the wave propagation
constant in the trace direction is Kp = K * sin( theta ), where K is the
propagation constant in the dielectrics, and the theta is the incident angle
between the ray of the wave and the normal direction of the ground plane.
The Kp's value will be the same for both the air and the dielectrics to
maintain the boundary conditions.

3. Circuit designers need to concern abou the frequency dependency of Kp. At
different frequency points, the "theta" will be different even you may find
some materials with the the K value independent of frequency. The frequency
dependency of the Kp will cause dispersion and problem in the rise time for
clock signals for wide band (or fast clock-rate) signals.

4. Full-wave simulators can model the frequency dependent properties of
transmission lines very accurately. However, its frequency dependent
results, represented as s-parameters, used to be difficult to apply to
traditional SPICE, which is limited to lumped elements. However, s-parameter
based SPICE simulator will be able to predict the rise time of frequency
dependent circuits precisely.

5. For more information on s-parameter based SPICED simulator, please visit
our web site. I will be giving a presentation on "Full-wave simulation and
S-Parameter SPICE simulation" on the Exhibitor's Presentation of the DAC in
June. Those interested are invited to present. Thank you very much.

Jian-X. Zheng, Ph.D
Zeland Software, Inc., 48890 Milmont Drive, 105D, Fremont, CA 94538, U.S.A.
Tel: 510-623-7162, Fax: 510-623-7135, Web: http://www.zeland.com