RE: [SI-LIST] : Attenuation on a PCB trace

From: Degerstrom, Michael J. ([email protected])
Date: Fri Apr 13 2001 - 12:24:12 PDT

Khalid,

Borrowing from what Mike Conn said and what Paul Levin said
in a related response I can offer a start to your 'couple
of equations'. For 2.5Gbps your fundamental frequency
is a 1.25 Ghz sine wave. This will be attenuated by
a factor of exp(-alpha*Lo) where alpha = Real{(R+jwL)(G+jwC)}.
where RLCG are per unit length and Lo is the total length.
For a clock source you are probably fine just adding up
the contributions to the first several harmonics that comprise
a trapezoidal waveform that fits your clock source. It
is more complicated for data paths but we have done fft and
inverse fft on a PRBS signal to reconstruct an eye diagram.

RLCG are all functions of frequency. For most applications
C is fairly constant but you need to account for skin
effect for R, dielectric loss for G and internal inductance
for L. For some applications you have to look at phase
changes, i.e. the lower frequencies may propagate more
slowly than the higher frequencies. You can use
beta = Imag{(R+jwL)(G+jwC)} to determine if phase is
an important parameter.

I know that this is not much of a start but hopefully
there is enough to get you going.

Mike

Mike Degerstrom Email: [email protected]
Mayo Clinic; 200 1st Street SW ; Rochester, MN 55905
Phone: (507) 538-5462 FAX: (507) 284-9171
WWW: http://www.mayo.edu/sppdg/sppdg_home_page.html