RE: [SI-LIST] : Mathmatical Software

From: Daniel, Erik S. ([email protected])
Date: Wed Apr 04 2001 - 13:04:22 PDT

Rich-

I use Mathematica a lot for symbolic manipulation, solving algebraic
equations, etc. This is Mathematica's real strength. It takes some time to
get comfortable with the syntax, though.

I've used Matlab a bit for processing of numerical data. This seems to be
its major strength, particular anything involving matrix or vector
manipulation.

I haven't really used Mathcad, but I have colleagues who like it.

All three tools seem to be able to do the same sorts of things, but in my
experience, it generally seems that Mathematica is the best tool for
algebraic/symbolic work, and Matlab is the best for numerical work.

                                        - Erik

Erik Daniel, Ph.D. Voice: (507) 538-5461
Mayo Foundation Fax: (507) 284-9171
200 First Street SW E-mail: [email protected]
Rochester, MN 55905 Web: www.mayo.edu/sppdg/