RE: [SI-LIST] : differences in memory speeds

From: John Lipsius ([email protected])
Date: Tue Mar 13 2001 - 12:11:35 PST

Pat,

First, the OE rule: operator error. Were all solder joints
examined and suspicious ones reheated? Was the failure isolated
to a single part and, if so, was it replaced with the same results?
A key bypass cap or filter could've failed open, or a trace could be
marginal (fab error). Happens with more than 1 board?

If tests still fail...
Perhaps the "dwell" at vdd/2 at the near end "pushes out" the
effective access/write time such that the addr and/or data setup
or hold time is no longer met due to increased 17ns part sensitivity
to the write pulse threshold. This assumes a tight timing budget
already and long lines relative to timing margin -- you didn't say.

It seems you suspect write pulse is corrupted at the near
end. The deasserting edge of the write pulse is the reference
for setup and hold, so one of those could be violated.

A contributing factor could be that a (previously undetected) marginal
noise environment at one or more chips adds to the degraded timing margin
for the faster part. This could include the chips own tendency to produce
a larger gnd bounce due to its faster switching.

The failure site(s) and which access is corrupted (read or write)
must be found first. The ref. point for write setup/hold is where the
pulse is stable at the Vin deassert level (like Vih)...

An observation of the addr/data lines of the "failing" part(s)
with a hi-BW scope seems required, using a looping test that
generates failures. A late or metastable read output or violated
write setup/hold may be observed.

Also, observe VDD at the pin with a hi-BW hiZ probe w/ short gnd lead,
using display persistence and correlate w/ errors (ie: same scope).
I believe the gnd lead connection must be to the gnd plane directly,
not to any chip's gnd pin, in order to see reality.