Other Clubs in SW Ohio
Dial Radio Club
Dial is an organization dedicated to public service and the
advancement of the radio arts through education and the operation of
public communication facilities.
Dial maintains an open repeater system at multiple locations in
the Middletown Ohio area which operate on the 144 Mhz, and 440
Mhz amateur radio bands. Those facilities are available without charge
to all properly licensed radio operators. In addition to permitting
experimentation and research the repeater system is utilized for
communications support of public and charitable events and weather
spotting. It is available for and used to provide emergency
communications when natural disasters and other events render
alternative communication channels are unavailable.
Dial conducts classes and training in radio and telecommunications
including all of the disciplines required for FCC license (e.g. FCC
regulations, electrical and radio theory, practical components,
operating procedures, and antennas). All classes are free of charge and
open to all interested persons. Participants receive training intended
to prepare them for FCC license examinations. In conjunction with the
National Weather Service, Dial also conducts training in weather
In conjunction with the American Radio Relay League, Dial conducts an
annual 24 hour field day demonstration of emergency communication
conducted entirely without the use of utility power from a prominent
location in a local public park. Dial also participates in a national
radio convention at which the members are available to explain its
activities and encourage participation.
The activities of Dial are principally conducted by the members of the
organization although participation by members of the general public is
strongly encouraged. Activities are conducted throughout the year.
Because of its use for emergency communication, repeater operation is
maintained on a continuous 24 hour a day basis. Field day operations
occur annually in June and convention participation in May. All
activities of the organization occur within one hour’s drive of
Middletown and are open to all without charge.
Monthly General Membership Meetings are held on the third Monday of every month. Dinner starts at about 6:00 PM. Business Meeting starts at 7:00 PM.
See our Calendar webpage for location and details about the next meeting:
- Typically 80+ members representing 50+ families
- Yearly dues are $26 per family
- Extensive Good Coverage Repeater System:
- 2 meters
- 2 meters and 70 cm linked
- Motorola DMR repeater with internet link on 70 cm
- Yaesu Fusion repeater in digital & analog operation on 70 cm
- We have taught classes for 30+ years to allow persons to become
amateur radio operators and to upgrade their privileges.
- Recent Special Operating Events:
- We celebrated our 75th anniversary as a ARRL Affiliated Club on
May 9, 2016, which included a special event station - W8D.
- Since our contest call is K8PI, we took part in the International
Pi-Day celebration on March 14, 2015.
- Possible Future Operating Events:
- We have participated in the Ohio QSO Party in August for the last
few years and hope to participate again this year
- CQ WPX SSB contest in the spring
- ARRL SSB Sweepstakes in November
- Members and guests are welcome to visit and participate at any of
our operating events. Watch the "DIAL News" for details.