RE: [SI-LIST] : Basic Transmission Line question

From: Ingraham, Andrew ([email protected])
Date: Fri Jun 01 2001 - 09:02:28 PDT

Steve Corey wrote:

> Finally, just for the sake of interest, I would mention that from a
> time-domain simulator's perspective, the concept of a distributed model
> vs.
> a lumped model is a very blurry one, since as the simulator chooses its
> time steps, every model gets effectively discretized into lumps of some
> sort.

Not necessarily. The simplest (lossless) transmission line model is just a
pure time delay. No need to divide it up based on the timestep size.

Some simulators do the opposite, however: they choose their timestep size
based on the shortest transmission line found in the netlist.

Conceptually, even a lossy line model could be implemented as a convolution
with the impulse response of the line, found by laplace methods, without
having to section the line into lumped elements; but I think the main
problem is that this is computationally inefficient.

Andy