RE: [SI-LIST] : Re: Antenna Problem on the Board

From: Prasad Venugopal ([email protected])
Date: Thu May 31 2001 - 15:48:48 PDT

 Although I do not know how all of this applies to the antenna effect ( I need to buy the book ..) I think I know the answer to what Doug meant regarding how a vector changing direction implies acceleration.

 Consider any body moving in a straight line with a constant speed and therefore velocity in that direction. A force in a direction perpendicular to the direction of motion tends to change direction without changing the speed. Speed remains the same because the force is perpendicular to direction of motion. The force causes an acceleration to the body by changing the direction without changing the speed. So a vector - speed in a given direction, got accelerated by changing direction without changing magnitude.
ex:

 centripetal and centrifugal forces for rotational motion with constant speed. So if you twirl a string with a stone attached to it, the string goes taut and if I remember correctly, the centripetal force is m x v ^2 / r where m is the mass of the stone, v is the velocity and r is the radius. Just so I do not get into trouble, the string has negligible mass :-)

 Doug is that correct?
Prasad