RE: [SI-LIST] : RMS Definition, clarification

From: Zabinski, Patrick J. ([email protected])
Date: Tue May 29 2001 - 12:59:37 PDT

Vrms = Sqrt[ Integral (V(t)^2) ] / T

Where:

        V(t) = Voltage with respect to time
        T = one period of time = boundaries of integral

Simply insert the equation for V(t) into the integral,
integrate over one period, and you can figure out Vrms
for any (deterministic, periodic) waveform.

In terms of a table of values, you've got the most
common ones already listed. Sorry, I don't have
any handy-dandy, all-inclusive chart.

One point to keep in mind, though, is that you should
be clear in what "V" represents in your table. Some folks
assume "V" means Vpeak-to-peak, while others assume "V"
means Vpeak-to-ground. Similarly, don't forget to take into
account DC offsets (some folks assume "square wave"
means Zero to V, not -V to +V; etc.).

Pat