Re: [SI-LIST] : Spread Spectrum in High Speed Serial Design

From: Ravinder Ajmani ([email protected])
Date: Mon May 21 2001 - 11:07:25 PDT

I will mention two applications. First was a 400 Mbits/sec serial
application where I tried to use spread spectrum clock. The result was
multiple link errors. I then decided to stay with the conventional clock.
Second was a 1.0625 GBits/sec Fibre-channel application, where a
conventional clock with not so good stability resulted in poor eye
diagrams, when measured on an HP Communication Analyzer with built-in clock
recovery unit. The eye diagram looked perfect on my 1.5 GHz real time
oscilloscope, as well as on a TEK 11801C sampling scope. After much
research, we found out that the clock instability was too much to be
tracked correctly by the clock recovery unit.
The lesson learnt is that for serial communication one should stick with
the clock with good stability.

Regards, Ravinder
PCB Development and Design Department
IBM Corporation
Email: [email protected]
Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
.... Mark Twain

x Ye <[email protected]>@silab.eng.sun.com on 05/21/2001 10:11:06 AM

Please respond to x Ye <[email protected]>

Sent by: [email protected]