RE: [SI-LIST] : Source termination of transmission line

From: Degerstrom, Michael J. ([email protected])
Date: Mon Apr 23 2001 - 11:47:11 PDT

Dave,

You will have to bite the bullet somewhere since you can't
do anything about the 40 ohm connector. Yes you can use
a 75 ohm path from your driver to the connector but then
you have one big reflection at that junction.

If your driver can tolerate the lower impedance and
your receiver can live with the lower voltage swing
then you can use 40 ohm paths and a 40 ohm far end termination.

Another way to go about this is to use no far end
termination and provide a shunt termination of 80
ohms at the far end. This should give you much more
swing and the source impedance in parallel with 80 ohms
is 40 ohms. So use 40 ohm paths and you may have
a workable solution.

Not sure why you don't want to do impedance matching
at the connector but I guess my second approach
is doing the same thing only at the driver.

Mike

Mike Degerstrom Email: [email protected]
Mayo Clinic; 200 1st Street SW ; Rochester, MN 55905
Phone: (507) 538-5462 FAX: (507) 284-9171
WWW: http://www.mayo.edu/sppdg/sppdg_home_page.html