RE: [SI-LIST] : Re: ADC jitter specs (formerly Diff clocks length matching)

From: Dagostino, Tom ([email protected])
Date: Wed Apr 18 2001 - 14:19:29 PDT

There were two points I was trying to make. The first dealt with matching
vs clock frequency. I was trying to point out that there are applications
of relatively slow clock rates where you may want to match delays to
different circuits to much less than Scott McMorrow was pointing out.
I'd be generally very happy to have differential skews matched to
within 5% of the edge rate for most systems.
10Gbps - about 10 mils
3.2 Gbps - about 20 mils
2 Gbps - about 25 mils
1 Gbps - about 50 mils
622 Mbps - about 100 mils
<<<
My example was a 20 MHz clock system. If you want to remove the errors to
get 3 ADC to clock at the same phase then you would have to control the
system to the 15.9 psec calculated or about 50 mils, much tighter than
Scott's numbers imply. I'm not saying this is easy or straight forward. I
was implying you need to analyze what you are doing and not apply some "rule
of thumb".

The second was the time intervals some designers have to deal with. The
scope example was not fsec matching but just fast time intervals
measurement. A fast sampling scope like the Tek 50 GHz unit has to either
measure time intervals to the order of 10 fsec or generate time intervals to
that delta depending on the sampling mode used. If it is using sequential
sampling it will generate time intervals incrementing at up to 10 fsec
intervals from the trigger to the sample point. If random equivalent time
sampling is employed (most likely) it will have to measure time intervals
between trigger and sample to that order of magnitude. These have to be
accurate or the effective bits of the digitized waveforms would be poor.
Not matching in this case just damn short and accurate.

Tom Dagostino
IBIS and Tau Modeling Manager
SDD
Mentor Graphics Corp.