RE: [SI-LIST] : implementing delay on board

From: Ken Wu ([email protected])
Date: Wed Apr 11 2001 - 11:56:39 PDT

Saeen,
Good observation.
The delay depends on the line length as well as the loadings you put
at the end of your T-line. I bet you put a capacitive loading at the
end of T-line which is the reason causing the delay different from 165ps
as you expected. If you change your capacitive loading to 50ohm (match
your transmission line impedance), you will see the result you expected.
As a matter of fact, the input impedance from your driver side (looking into
the T-line) will be 50ohm only if your loading is 50ohm. If your loading
is a capacitor, then the input impedance will vary depending on the
combination
of line length and capacitor value. You can find the equations to calculate
the
input impedance from any microwave book. With a varying loading, you cannot
get
a linear delay result as you expected.

Regards,

Ken Z. Wu