RE: [SI-LIST] : I2C bus

From: Michael Nudelman ([email protected])
Date: Thu Apr 05 2001 - 12:38:15 PDT

Soujanna,

In the Philips 8051-based Microcontroller Catalog there is an article:"I2C -
what it is and how to use it". Same book also contains the only known to me
I2C buffer - 82B715 from Philips.

The bus is practically care-free, especially with the buffer; it is
pulled-up, open-collector-driven bus; level (not edge) sensitive, and thus
the signal integrity becomes pretty easy question.

Typical ucontroller-based pullup current is small; however with the buffer
it can be much higher (the pullup itself can be 200 or 300 Ohm).

If you use Philips ucontroller - make sure it is not sharing data bus (one
of its ports) with anything that has bus-hold feature - it is tricky.

However I would not recommend Philips anyway - it is costly, even in OTP
version, and the Philips tried to phase out those 3-4 years ago, judging
from their attitude;

PIC (microchip) is a good choice, thou at the time it did not support
hardware I2C bus master protocol - only software one.

Mike