[SI-LIST] : RE: Buffering Gbit Xcvr Oscillators

From: Smith, Norm W ([email protected])
Date: Wed Apr 04 2001 - 14:58:09 PDT

I used to have anxiety about this as well. We have a very similar situation
for a switch design in which we distribute the clock (PECL) to the switch
ASIC then the ASIC drives the SERDES ref clock and data using LVTTL, a
source synchronous design. Using a state-of-art TIA to measure jitter, we
can keep the PECL clock going into the ASIC very clean, like < 100psec pk-pk
jitter. But the jitter on the output clock coming out of the ASIC is like
250psec pk-pk. Doing a FFT of the jitter shows this jitter - termed buffer
jitter - is very high frequency in nature, actually harmonics of the ASIC
clocks. Fortunately, the SERDES filters this jitter out and the link is
extremely reliably running copper.

Norm Smith
NCR Corp
17095 Via Del Campo