RE: [SI-LIST] : Plating Tails at High Frequencies

From: Zabinski, Patrick J. ([email protected])
Date: Mon Mar 19 2001 - 10:33:56 PST

Wayne,

Based simply on testing actual devices, we have seen the
plating bar stubs (tails) at 35 psec edge rates present
a capacitive blip up to 300 mrho (30%). Taking a guess
that the edge rates you're considering for 500 MHz are
around 200 psec, an extrapolation would put an expected
reflection at about 40-60 mrho (4-6%).

I do not know what effective capacitance the stubs present,
but they provide little in terms of impedance mismatch.

Note: Our tests were done on plastic ball grid array packages
with a good signal return path (solid plane), roughly 50 ohm
lines (microstrip), and tails less than 6 mm (250 mils)
in length. Other sizes/processes/etc are likely to
effect results.

Hope this helps,
Pat