Re: [SI-LIST] : Re: approximations for partial self inductance

From: Brian Young ([email protected])
Date: Wed Mar 14 2001 - 11:29:43 PST

There is an interesting phenomenon here that I would
like to point out because I don't think it is
widely appreciated. Transmission lines include the
current return path and are characterized by a per-unit-
length inductance. The inductance equations (7.9) in
Johnson's book and (5.53) in my book for the round wire
have a d*ln(d) dependence on length, d, which is
definitely not linear. Once the return path has been
established, the linear dependence on length is recovered.

Dr. Johnson provides perfect examples with his equations
[1]-[4], where the inductance is linear with respect to
length while varying in magnitude depending on the
assumption regarding the return path.

The round wire formula we have been discussing does not
specify the return path, so it is a partial inductance.
A partial inductance is not a complete description of the
problem-you have to complete the loop with the partial
inductances of the other sections of the loop plus the
partial mutual inductance between all the sections. Once
you do this, the loop inductance is real and physical.
If the loop looks like a transmission line (i.e. long
compared to its uniform cross section), then the inductance
will be linearly dependent on length.

From Dr. Johnson's comments, I'm confused about his formula.
Dr. Johnson wrote:

> My earlier formula was a gross approximation which
> ignored the position of the returning current path, .... It made the
> crude assumption that the return path was approximately
> coaxial and located at a distance S=5.43*H.

Assuming that the discussion is still about (7.9) from his book,
then a coaxial return path assumption should have yielded
an inductance formula that is linear with respect to length.
However, (7.9) contains the partial inductance dependence
of length*ln(length). What am I missing?

Regards,
Brian Young

Howard Johnson wrote:

> [...]
> equally spaced in a square pattern on four sides
> of the signal via, where the spacing from signal via
> to any return via is S and the via diameter is D:
>
> L = 5.08*H*(1.25*ln(2*S/D) + 0.25*ln(2)) [3]
>
> If the return current is carried mainly on a
> coaxial return path completely encircling the signal
> via, where the spacing from signal via
> to the return path is S and the via diameter is D:
>
> L = 5.08*H*(ln(2*S/D)) [4]
>
> The last formula I hope you will recognize as the
> inductance of a short section of coaxial cable with
> length H and outer diameter 2*S. I hope this
> recognition will lend credence to the idea that
> the position of the returning current path is
> an important variable in the problem.
>
> My earlier formula was a gross approximation which
> ignored the position of the returning current path,
> and omission which I greatly regret. It made the
> crude assumption that the return path was approximately
> coaxial and located at a distance S=5.43*H. As you
> note, when the inductance really matters a
> more accurate approximation is needed.
>
> To obtain a result as low as 5.08*H*(ln(2*S/D)-1)
> you would have to assume the return path were coaxial
> and located at a ridiculously small separation of
> S=.735*H, or that the return path were a single via
> located at some even closer distance.
>
> On my web site http://signalintegrity.com under "articles"
> there is a write-up about calculating the inductance of
> a bypass capacitor that includes the above formulas for
> vias, as well as some handy ways to estimate the
> inductance of the capacitor body.
>
> By the way, if you find a flaw in THIS write-up,
> please let me know.
>
> Best regards,
> Dr. Howard Johnson
>
> >>On the two versions of the equation, it looks to me like the version
> >>in Johnson's book has a typo. When d>>r, the external partial
> >>self-inductance of a straight round wire is
> >>
> >>L=5.08d*{ln(2d/r)-1}nH,
> >>
> >>where d is the length in inches, and r is the radius in inches.
> >>The external inductance is a good approximation at high frequencies
> >>where the skin effect shields the internal metal of the wire. At
> >>low frequencies, the internal self-inductance needs to be
> >>added to the external partial self-inductance to obtain
> >>
> >>L=5.08d*{ln(2d/r)-3/4}nH,
> >>
> >>which is the formula from Gover, as Eric pointed out.
> >>
> >>It seems that Johnson's book has the first (high-frequency) version
> >>with a sign error on the 1 because he has
> >>
> >>L=5.08h*{ln(4h/d)+1}nH,
> >>
> >>where h is the length in inches, and d is the diameter in inches.
> >>

> >>This formula should not be used for vias because it assumes that
> >>the length is much greater than the diameter. To compute partial
> >>self-inductance for vias, you should use the more complex formula
> >>that does not have this assumption built in. The correct formula
> >>is (5.49) from my book. This is the external partial self-inductance,
> >>so if you want the low frequency inductance, you need to add the

* Brian Young                           phone: (512) 996-6099 *
* Somerset Design Center                  fax: (512) 996-7434 *
* Motorola, Austin, TX               [email protected] *