[SI-LIST] : Power supply CM output noise

From: Douglas C. Smith ([email protected])
Date: Sat Mar 03 2001 - 12:29:06 PST

Hi All,

I have posted the second article on switching power supply noise as the
March Technical Tidbit at http://www.dsmith.org . Last month covered
magnetic field emissions. This month covers common mode noise currents
conducted on the supply OUTPUTS that have caused significant
intermittent system problems for many systems and is rarely covered in
power supply specifications. The article also discusses ways to measure
this noise and set specifications on it. I have personally seen this
noise mode cause effects from serious system operational problems to a
nagging intermittent problem.

If you want more detail on this or any of my Technical Tidbit articles,
call or send an email (call might be better as the discussion could get
lengthy). I also cover these topics in my courses.

Doug

    ___          _       Doug Smith
     \          / )      P.O. Box 1457
      =========          Los Gatos, CA 95031-1457
   _ / \     / \ _       TEL/FAX: 408-356-4186/358-3799
 /  /\  \ ] /  /\  \     Mobile:  408-858-4528
 \ _ /    ]    \ _ /     Website: http://www.dsmith.org