Licensing information for Indonesia - YB

Prepared by: OH2MCN - Veke & N2MAU/YB0DBH - Stephan & YB1AQS/DL8WPX Joerg & 9M6DXX - Steve
Status: March 1997, Dec '99 links added, 08

Intro: The information is that you must have Temporary Living Permit to get license in Indonesia. If you hear something else, please contact OH2MCN.

Directorate General of Posts and Telecommunications (POSTEL)
Gedung Depparpostel, 5th, 6th, 7th and 13th floors
Jl. Medan Merdeka Barat Kav 17

Telephone +62 21 345 6332 / 383 5888
Fax +62 21 386 0746 / 0754 / 0781

Paperwork needed:
The best way to get a license:
Non citizens can get ham license but they must have Temporary Living Permit which usually is issued if you work there and therefore must reside there at least temporarily. The callsign is 2X3 and the suffix always starts with A, example YB6AVE, YB0ASI, YB2ARW, YB3ASQ. I don't know if they have made exceptions in the past for the visitors, or short term stay.
Indonesia does not have provision for portable operation as well as Homecall/YB. You must apply via the appropriate channel ORARI and it will take a while unless it is for zero call area Jakarta. Many officials do not speak English either.
If you need the reciprocal licensing information, the ARRL has a nice and complete copy about the procedure including the latest fee schedule.
Special calls:
How long before you can operate?
License restrictions:
Useful local contacts:
Places to operate from:

Stephanus_Busono at

N2MAU/YB0DBH - Stephan

Addition from: Joerg YB1AQS on 8 Mar 1997

You only can apply for a license here if:

1. Your country has a reciprocal agreement with Indonesia. This seems to be usually no problem, nevertheless for instance Japan doesn't have any.

2. and more important: You have a resident-like visa (even a normal business visa is not sufficient). I have a resident visa valid for 1 year and extendable up to two years before I finally have to leave the country before I again can apply for a new one. To get this you'll need a working permission sponsored by one of the Indonesian companies.

So there are currently only two possibilities:

Staying resident and getting an own license or guest operating at a friends station.

I've heard rumors that there is currently discussion going on here to prepare 'tourist'-licenses, but nothing officially sofar.

I'll keep you informed if something changes.

Best 73,

Joerg YB1AQS

dl8wpx at

Travel info: DESTINATION INDONESIA and subWWWay to Indonesia

Back to MENU