Licensing information for Portugal - CT

Prepared by: OH2MCN - Veke & CT1EEB - Jose & K9VAL Peter & 9M6DXX - Steve
Status: August 1997, Feb '99, 08

Intro: Here are the complete instructions for getting a license in Portugal: CEPT and reciprocal licensing and normal license.

All holders of a valid CEPT License can operate from Portuguese Territory within the CEPT Rules. Callsign will be: CT1/own call/P e.g. CT1/OH2MCN/P.
[Remember that even with the CEPT License if one wishes to operate from special places, like some of the Islands for IOTA, he has to get the proper permits from the authorities (permit to land, stay overnight, etc...)].
There are no possibilities to get special callsigns for CEPT Licenses. Portugal is CT1, Madeira CT3 and Azores CU* according to the following:
Santa Maria CU1
Sao Miguel CU2
Terceira CU3
Graciosa CU4
Sao Jorge CU5
Pico CU6
Faial CU7
Flores CU8
Corvo CU9

Reciprocal licenses
Autoridade Nacional de Communicacoes (ANACOM)
Av. Jose Malhoa 12
1099-017 Lisbon

Telephone +351 21 721 1000
Fax +351 21 721 1001

Paperwork needed:
The best way to get a license:
One must apply for a reciprocal License by sending a photocopy of the original Amateur License that he holds and of the Identity card or Passport.
Special calls:
The callsign issued under the Reciprocity agreement is issued under the next format: CT1/own call, example: CT1/KA5TQF
How long before you can operate?
License restrictions:
The Reciprocal License is valid for a period of 30 days and can be renewed.
Useful local contacts:
Places to operate from:

Standard Portuguese License and Callsign...
A standard Portuguese Callsign (Example: CT1XYZ) is issued under the following rules:
1) To foreign citizens in hold of a HAREC Certificate, that stay in Portugal for a period of not less than 3 Month (more than 90 days)
2) To foreign citizens originated from Countries with which Portugal has got Reciprocity agreements (third party), in hold of a valid Amateur radio License issued by the competent authorities and with authorization to live in Portugal (Resident authorization).

ct1eeb at
Jose Emanuel Ribeiro de Sa CT1EEB

Comment from: K9VAL

Time: 1999-02-04

Non CEPT Licensing in Portugal:

After going back and forth five times with the CT licensing folks, I have the following suggestions:
1. They want a notarized copy of your license or your actual license.
2. They want a copy of the information pages in your passport.
3. Include brand name, serial numbers, and type of radio(s) being brought to the country.
4. Include 1600 escudos, ( about $10.00) IN PORTUGUESE CURRENCY.
5. Indicate where you will be staying as this is stated on my license which took about four months to obtain.
6. All correspondence received from the ICP was in Portuguese.

Finally, CT1EEB (Jose) was of great help with the translations and general advice.

Back to MENU