Licensing information for China - BY

Prepared by: OH2MCN - Veke & Jim - JA9IFF/1 & (BY/)SM0KAK - Lasse & BY1HAM - Chen & IK2MRZ/K2MRZ - Roberto & KT8X - Dennis & OK2SPS - Petr, BA1DU – Alan, AJ1Y – Joe,

Status: September 1996, Feb '98, Jan '00, Feb '00, Feb '01, Sep '01 (Web site & Interim info), Aug ‘03

Intro: You can have a permission to operate from Chinese Club stations

Visitor's licenses handled by CRSA
Liason Department
Chinese Radio Sports Association
P.O.Box 6106
Beijing 100061 , China.

The Secretary General of CRSA is Mr.Wang Xinmin, BA1OK, since 1998.
[office phone +86-10 6705 0878]
fax. +86 10 6705 0899
e -mail:
crsa at
CRSA Web site
Interim Administrative Methods for Installation and Operation of Amateur Radio Stations by Foreigners within the Territory of the People’s Republic of

The best way to get a license:
Write a letter to CRSA ( Chinese Radio Sports Association ) with the following application and cover letter.

Application for a Permit to operate an Amateur Radio Station in People's Republic of China

I , undermentioned alien amateur licensee, request a permit for operation of an amateur radio station in China. I understand that, if a permit is granted, my operation of a station in China must be in accordance with Chinese rules and regulations.

Date Signature


Given Name:
Family Name:
Passport Number and where issued:
Date of Birth:
Home license ( Class and Number ):
Applicant's address:
Planned date and duration of visit: Arrival ; Departure;
Purpose of visit ( Business, Private, Study etc):
In which cities to operate:
Any specific operating requirements:
Remarks: include one passport photograph of the applicant

US5$ or 20 IRCs
Special calls:
Callsign will be assigned as Your Home Call / Chinese Club Call, like EY8MM/BY1BJ.
How long before you can operate?
Might be better to apply 3 month ahead of your arrival (recommended).
License restrictions:
No transmitters are allowed to be brought into China without the special written permission by the Radio Regulatory Commission (which is a government organization similar to FCC), according to the Radio Laws of China. Once permitted, the import duty would be required by customs, the duty rate is around 30%. BY1HAM
Useful local contacts:
Places to operate from:
Local club stations

Jim Nakajima JA9IFF/1
Setogaya 138-19-704 ex DJ0KE
Hodogaya,Yokohama Tel,Fax:+81-45-721-6553
240 Japan

jim at 

Addition by (BY)/SM0KAK, 13 Feb 1998

It was easy for me to get my license, and also my visiting friend ES5MC got his license without problems. It is still possible only to get a permission to operate from clubs.

50 MHz and 432 MHz are ham bands in BY, but they are CLOSED for HAMs in Beijing by the local authorities. In many areas 50 MHz is OK.

It seems to be very hard to get permission for import of any transmitters or power amplifiers. Antennas and receivers do not require any special permits.

Callsign used by foreigners are HOMECALL/CLUBCALL (eg. SM0KAK/BY1QH). With permission from the responsible person of the club the CLUBCALL may be used (eg BY1QH).

73 es mni tnx fer uufb work!!
Lasse (BY/)SM0KAK

LARS MELIN < lars.melin at >

PS I live in Beijing, and will stay here at least until September 98, but probably longer.

Addition From: ""Dennis & Stephanie Ward" < KT8X at >
Date: 2000-02-13

Your information for obtaining a license in BY was very useful. I received a license in about 2 months. I mailed a letter as explained in your web site. Make sure a Passport Size Photo (wasn't clear in your site) and 5 USD Cash accompanies the application. After receiving my license last month, I was instructed to contact BY4AA to arrange operation from that station (in Shanghai), but they never return my calls, faxes or letters. I have written the CARL several times, but they also do not respond about my problem with BY4AA.

Epilogue: 2000-02-16
When I went in to work this morning, I had an email from a work colleague in Shanghai. He was called on the telephone by BY4AA club and they are welcoming me to operate. I must assume they received my letter in Chinese, and the copy of the authorization letter which I sent them.

Dennis KT8X

Addition From: "Petr Silinger" psilinger at
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2001 09:29:33 +0100

Dear Veikko, here is their reply 73 dx petr ----- Original Message ----- From: crsa To: < psilinger at >Petr Silinger Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2001 1:57 AM Subject: Re: From CRSA

Dear Mr.Petr Silinger, OK2SPS Well come to China!
1. Mr. Chen Ping, BA1HAM, has not been working in the CRSA HQ for more than three year. The Secretary General of CRSA is Mr.Wang Xinmin, BA1OK, since 1998.
2.It is easy to apply a visitors license from CRSA HQ. You need to provide:
1). Copy of your passport;
2). Copy of your home license;
3). A passport photo or similar;
4). 5 USD of application fee.
3. The duration of the permission for the visitors to operate armature radio in China is one year;
4. You can send your material to CRSA HQ: Chinese Radio Sports Association P.O.Box 6106 Beijing, 100061 P.R.China or you can bring them to the CRSA HQ when you are in Beijing, we can issue you the license very quickly. You can contact us at anytime by the CRSA email address.

73! Han Zhaofang BG1HZF Deputy Secretary General - CRSA Liaison Officer - IARU

Addition From: "Alan Kung, BA1DU" < ba1du at  >
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 17:10:54 +0800

Hi Bernie,

There are some news about Chinese amateur radio, maybe these are useful for you sometimes.

A new rule about foreigners/foreign organizations setting up and operating amateur radio station in China has been announced on 1st Feb 2001. The English version is not announced yet, the main is as follows.

1. The foreigner must live in China at least one year (to receive a Chinese call sign, OH2MCN).
2. The government of the foreigner's nationality has signed amateur radio agreement with Chinese government.
3. Apply from CRSA, submit documents including, a written requisition, the identity explain by his Chinese host or the Beijing Embassy of his country, a copy of his home amateur radio license and a copy of his passport, and then can get Chinese call sign. (The prefix is not announced yet, probably BK).
4. The foreign tourist can operate VHF/UHF in China, only need to lodge verbal apply from CRSA, and then can use call sign as "home call sign/B plus Chinese call area number". (This should be confirmed, B plus call area, OH2MCN)
5. The foreign visitor's operating license (for shortdated visitor) holder can operate not only at BY clubs but also at private stations which have been permitted by CRSA. call sign is "home call sign/host call sign".

BTW, until 22 Jan 2001 there are 4151 licensed radio amateurs and 2203 amateur radio stations (HF and V/UHF only, not include SWL) in China.(exact datas, got from CRSA).

73 Alan, BA1DU

Addition from: Joseph Rogers <jerogersesq at>
Date: 27.8.2013

Dear Veke,

Thanks for all the effort on your site.  I wanted to provide you an update for operations in BY (People's Republic of China).  The China Radio Amateurs Club (CRAC) is now the organization from which one can obtain an operating permit.  The website is  The website contains the latest application information which is very quick and efficient and there is no longer any fee.  If you go the website they list current amateur operator permits.

Otherwise, the rules and regulations regarding operations remain pretty much the same.

Joe AJ1Y

OLD 1993 INFO deleted.

Back to MENU