Licensing information for Malawi - 7Q

Prepared by: ON6TT-Peter & LA9PF/7Q7PF Savigny & 7Q7DFC / WA1LBP - David
Status: Aug-94, July '99 links added, Mar & May '03, Nov 12

Intro: If you have a foreign ham license, you will have no problems to get a license in Malawi without too much of formalities. Deleted all old info.

I was licensed in Malawi October 10, 2012 as 7Q7DFC. I would like to give you an update on amateur licensing in Malawi.

Amateur operators are licensed by the Malawi Communications Regulatory Authority. Amateur operator and station license applications are available online at

Contact MACRA at
Salmin Amour Road

Private Bag 261

Tel: +265 (0) 1 883 611
Fax: +265 (0) 1 883 890
E-mail: info at

A license application is now about USD 60 with about USD 20 annual station and operator renewal fees thereafter. For latest information contact MACRA. MACRA told me that while once only fixed operation was permitted, amateur operators in Malawi may now operate portable and mobile as well.

I got my license about two weeks after I sent in my application.

73, David Cowhig

7Q7DFC (home call WA1LBP)

Application forms attached

For travel info see: SubWWWay to Africa

Back to MENU